To be clear, I do not worship at the altar of Apple. I never really wanted an iPhone in the first place; I thought they were way over-hyped.
However my Blackberry was no longer cutting it so when the time came, I went for the iPhone 4S. I mean, it was fine. I didn't want to marry it or anything (unlike some people) but it was a good phone - the only complaint I have had was that I wanted a mechanical keyboard. I still do. I've come to terms with the fact that I must be the only person in the world who wants this since no phone manufacturer bothers with a mechanical keyboard anymore except Blackberry, and they're going broke.
Although I'm no diehard Apple fan, we do have a Mac at home and I certainly have always appreciated the ease with which I can sync all my music and photos and TV shows with the computer. I have also wondered apprehensively how I would ever change to a different brand of phone, considering how Apple products don't really work with other brands.
Now I know.
The answer is, I'M IN HELL.
To be fair to Apple and Samsung, it's not the sync issues that are making me want to burn the Galaxy S4. There are plenty of programs which make syncing between the Mac and the Galaxy relatively easy. But I can't help thinking that if I had just got an iPhone none of those programs would be needed.
The thing that's really annoying me about this whole situation is that this is ONE TIME in my life where I did my research. Normally I buy what I like without much care for whether it's actually a good product or not. This time, I did my research. I spent hours reading all the damn articles and reviews and forums and found that people everywhere agreed that the Samsung basically shat all over the iPhone. I went with the responsible choice and got the Samsung.
I really hate it.
Here is a brief list of the things that annoy me about this phone so far:
- Everything I've read says it's faster than the iPhone. It isn't. It's noticeably slower. It takes whole seconds to open apps and in the three days I've had the phone, it's crashed numerous times.
- There isn't much space on the internal storage, but you can't move apps to the SD card. Turns out, your SD card is good for music and photos only. They don't say that in the ads.
- I'm having heaps of trouble with the keyboard so anything I type liiks lokw yhis.
- It's taken three separate apps (Dropbox, SmartSync, iSyncr) to get the Galaxy to sync with my Mac - and I still can't sync my photos.
- This is a minor one, but you can't swipe to delete - you have to go into the menu to find the delete option. This is something I probably never would have even known about had I not had an iPhone but it is so annoying having that option taken away.
- Some apps I used to have on the iPhone aren't available in the Google Play store - and others I had to buy again for the Samsung when I already own the iOS version.
- You can't get videos to play on Instagram. Why WHY doesn't this work??
- The camera is rubbish, truly rubbish compared with the iPhone. It's like going back to my 2002 phone.
- I can't play iTunes movies and TV shows on the Galaxy. I can't even move them onto it. This is huge for me. I buy all my TV shows in iTunes and watch them on TV via my phone, and now I have no way to do this. By the way, I totally understand that this is an Apple thing, not a Galaxy thing, but it is still an ANNOYING THING.
- You can't turn off the camera shutter sound and it is the loudest, clunkiest sound everrr. Too bad if you want to take photos at, say, a wedding. Apparently this feature is disabled so you can't take someone's photo without their awareness which I actually think is quite smart, but why then can you turn off the shutter sound on iPhone? And then I read that on some Galaxys you can turn it off. It depends on your mobile carrier. This is when I start gnashing my teeth and wanting to burn things.
To make it even worse, apparently there is a software update that makes it possible for some apps to be moved to the SD card, and other updates to fix other problems. But unlike Apple where the update goes to all users at once, once Android releases the update it has to go through all the phone manufacturers and then the carriers before it gets to users. It's up to the carriers if/when they release the update to their customers. So far, Optus haven't released the SD card update. They may never release it. Again, this does not make me want to pop the champagne.
Probably, if I'd never had an iPhone I'd quite like the Galaxy. A lot of the things that frustrate me are things that I'm used to having on the iPhone, or the way they function on the iPhone, and now it's either slower, trickier, or just plain different.
But I can't stand the thought of having to use this phone for the next two years. I hate the phone enough that I'll be calling Optus to find out if there's any way to exchange the Galaxy for an iPhone 5 instead. Anything! I'll do anything!!
If you're considering switching from iPhone to Android, maybe you won't experience the same frustrations that I have. But I was totally expecting to love the Galaxy and boy do I hate it.
I hate it a lot.